Here it is. The culmination of four years of sleepless nights and hard work. The ups and downs were worth it. I failed a lot, and I learned a lot more, and I was happy most of the time, which is all anybody can really ask for.
“You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” This quote is something that I really 100% thought about a lot. Because there were a lot of times when I felt inadequate next to my colleagues, when I felt belittled and inferior, and I just generally thought of myself as not being good enough. But then I learned that it shouldn’t be about comparing yourself to others, but comparing yourself to you. I really believe that you are your own greatest enemy, and the best thing I can say about myself is being able to control, rather than conquer, that idea.
In the end, there’s nothing you can do except be the best you that you can be.
The past four years was an uphill battle for me, and there are a lot of people I owe this victory to.
1. My family, for their unending support.
2. My college batchmates, iMBBa 2015, for being my comrades in the journey, for being the best people to go on this journey with, for giving me a good time in the midst of the flurry of papers, exams, reports, and whatnot, and for teaching me so many things (both academic and not). I will miss seeing you guys often!
3. My high school friends for keeping me sane and grounded. Naomi, Dindin, Kat, Shen, Joni, Berty, Czai, and the rest of Onse… you guys, you’re the only ones I can really just be myself with. Let’s keep this friendship strong until we’re old and wrinkled.
4. UP MBBS for everything. Working for the org and with the people in it really taught me a lot and made me grow leaps and bounds. I gotta say, having the burden of responsibility and the gift of leadership on my shoulders for the past year was one of the things that I can truly say changed me for the better. I hope I showed the value of leading by example instead of by force, and I hope that my members learned as much from me as I did for them.
5. UP CSSC ’13-’14, for giving me the chance to serve my institute and the College of Science. It was a blast working and learning with you guys. UBE soon! Siyentista ng bayan, para sa bayan!
6. The NIMBB senior faculty, junior faculty, and research associates, for teaching me and molding me into being the scientist that I am today. To PSILab, thank you for the knowledge, the great thesis experience, and for giving me a family in MBB. The NIMBB admin and staff, for always being kind to me and helping me whenever I need it.
It’s been a blast, UP. Thank you for everything. Sa wakes, sumablay na din ako!
Iskolar ng bayan, para sa bayan!
On to the next chapter.